At Oasis of Hope Bariatrics, we offer a number of weight loss procedures to help patients jumpstart a healthier lifestyle.One of the most popular treatments is gastric sleeve surgery, which reduces the size of the stomach and limits the number of calories consumed.
Our doctors perform gastric sleeve surgery at ourTijuana, MXbariatric practice. Here, we will discussgastric sleeve surgery scars and what patients can expectfollowing the procedure.
Where Are the Incisions Placed?
The location and length of your incisions depends on the type of gastric sleeve surgery performed. There are two primary options:
- Laparoscopic:Our surgeons perform traditional laparoscopic surgery frequently at our Tijuana, MX location. During this procedure, three to five tiny incisions are created in the abdominal area. The doctor accesses the abdominal area through these incisions and performs the gastric sleeve surgery.
- Single-incision: In some cases, surgeons choose a single-incision gastric sleeve, which involves creating one incision in the navel. This procedure is not as common as laparoscopic gastric sleeve surgery.
How Visible Are the Scars?
If single-incision gastric sleeve surgery is performed, the scar is hidden inside of the navel. Therefore, it is not visible at all.
Following laparoscopic gastric sleeve surgery, the small scars are somewhat visible. However, they fade significantly over time and become more difficult to see.
How Long Will it Take for My Scars to Fade?
Your gastric sleeve surgery scars should start to fade within the first few months. They will continue to diminish as time goes by.There are several things you can do to reduce the appearance of your scars.
Reducing the Appearance of Your Gastric Sleeve Surgery Scars
The best way to prevent excessive scarring is to follow all recommended guidelines provided by your surgical team. These will be discussed during your initial consultation and you will also be given a detailed list of post-operative instructions the day of your gastric sleeve surgery. In the meantime, we will explore a few general guidelines below.
- Care for your incisions properly.Never pick or scratch at your incisions while they are healing. Allow the skin to scab and shed on its own.
- Keep the surgical sites clean.To prevent infection, clean the incisions thoroughly every day according to your surgeon’s instructions.
- Drink plenty of water.Dehydration can interfere with proper healing. When the skin is dry, it is more prone to damage and scarring.
- Wear proper sun protection.When you go outdoors, be sure to wear sunscreen. UV rays can damage the skin and make scarring worse.
- Moisturize daily.This keeps the skin soft and supple and promotes proper healing.
- Avoid tobacco products.Smoking stunts the healing process and makes you more prone to infections. If you are undergoing bariatric surgery, you should consider quitting for good.
Contact Us for More Information
Gastric sleeve surgery requires small incisions. However, you can take steps to significantly reduce the appearance of scarring. To learn more, or to schedule a consultation at our Tijuana, MX practice,contact usonline or call our office at (619) 690-8417.