When it comes to appearance, the shape of your teeth is every bit as important as its luster. The amount of visible tooth enamel determines whether your teeth are perceived as full or small. The overall shape and size of your teeth affect their appearance, but the gum line plays a significant role as well.
Gum contouring can reshape your gum line and enhance the prominence of your teeth. At Artistic Expressions Dentistry, Dr. Bruce Wilderman uses the state-of-the-art diode laser to eliminate excess gum tissue. Here, we answer your questions about gum contouring for small teeth and guide you through every step of the process. Contact our Philadelphia, PA practice to schedule your gum contouring consultation.
Common Causes of Small Teeth
Not surprisingly, genetics are a determining factor in the size and shape of your teeth. Beyond that, common causes of small teeth include:
- The effects of teeth grinding
- Irregular dental alignment (gaps, asymmetrical teeth)
- Damage from chips or cracks
- Overlapping gums
The Gum Contouring Procedure
While teeth whitening and veneers can improve the appearance of small teeth, gum contouring is considered a safe and efficient option for evening your gum line while preserving your natural teeth.
The procedure removes a small amount of tissue with minimal anesthesia. The laser system employed at our office minimizes pain while reducing the risk of infection, and Dr. Wilderman will take care to not expose any part of your tooth’s root.
The benefits of gum contouring are permanent since the excess gum tissue does not regenerate.
After the sculpting treatment, you can expect a quick recovery and dramatic results.
Minor swelling along the gum line is typical but should only last a few days.
Any minor discomfort can usually be managed with over-the-counter pain medication.
Dr. Wilderman will provide diet instructions during recovery. Hard and spicy food items should be avoided during this time.
Benefits of Gum Contouring
Gum contouring delivers dramatic results. Following the procedure, patients can benefit from:
- Better oral hygiene: Bacteria such as gingivitis accumulate in the crevices under gum tissue. As more of the tooth’s enamel is exposed, patients can often reduce the risk of gum disease caused by harmful bacteria through proper brushing and flossing.
- Addresses a gummy smile: As excess gum tissue is removed, your natural teeth will become a more prominent feature of your smile. This also reduces the perception of having small teeth.
- Improved confidence: As your gum line and teeth become more outwardly beautiful, you may find yourself smiling with newfound confidence.
Contact Our Practice
Is your gum line keeping you from an otherwise beautiful smile? The teeth can appear unnecessarily short or misshapen due to excess gum tissue or an uneven gum line. During your consultation with Dr. Wilderman, he will examine your gums before creating a custom treatment plan just for you.
If you want a cosmetic makeover, Dr. Wilderman can explain the benefits of porcelain veneers, teeth whitening, and other cosmetic treatments. To learn more about gum contouring for small teeth, contact us online or call our office at (215) 340-1199.